Monday 21 September 2009

Action 123: Don't start a war

Today is World Peace Day. It's a great idea. Of course I'd say that, becuase I'm a hopeless dreamer holding out for a kind of Disney fairytale world where in less than 90 minutes, everyone turns out happy becuase evil is defeated. But I'm glad I'm not the only dreamer, and there's a great guy called Jeremy Gilley who for the past decade has been running Peace One Day and he mde a rather inspirational film about it that I think you should all watch or pester your Citizenship or PSE teachers to let you all watch.

So today I decided "it's World Peace Day, I'm not going to argue with anyone, I'm not going to start a war." Andd I'll admit I got annoyed at people. One was because I couldn't get in contact with them, so I couldn't speak to them to argue and start a war which is kind of good. The other was Mum, which isn't that surprising becuase we all annoy and get annoyed by our family. I calmed my temper though and told her I was "more than a little annoyed" about the matter.You see, we make 217 decisions a day (and that's a stat I swear I didn't make up but I don't have a source for it) and well we can decide to speak out, and sometimes that's the right thing to do. I'm going to have to write to Waitrose this week because they've stopped serving Sunday roasts. Which is a far bigger deal to me than you could imagine. But most times it's better to be quiet and swallow your tounge and get on with your day.

Today though I want to take the third way. It's all very easy not to start a war, but when you're in one, for whatever reason, it's very easy to drag your feet and stay there. Well this is the moment I lift my feet up and say it's over. I'm sorry, I've said bad things to good perople and bad things about good people. I've clinged onto the actions from the past and turned them into grudges. I've runied friendships that I miss. I surrender, I end the wars. I know I'm not in my Disney world and that won't suddenly make everything OK again, not least becuase the people I really want to read this won't. But if I don't try, if I don't vow to make a change in me then everything becomes static when life's too short to stand still.

No comments:

Post a Comment