Saturday 31 October 2015

Some things are more important than my facial hair

Recently, I've had family members jokingly not recognise me, friends genuinely not recognise me and Grandpa mis-recognise me as my brother the moment I told him 'I'm gay'. Why? I’ve grown a bushy beard. Not to boost my hipster credentials, but because I was bored of shaving.



Then I received a phone call from Movember, encouraging me as a 5-time veteran to sign up for 2015. I’d already made my choice. I couldn’t sacrifice the last six months and completely shave off my ‘distinguished beard’ (other people’s flattering description, not mine). This year, no mo for Joe.

But some things are more important than my facial hair.

The sickening feeling when a friend shares he has testicular cancer.

The grief and humility of returning to your school hall for a memorial service.

The confusion and failure you falsely see your life descending into.

Movember isn’t about facial hair. It uses moustaches as talking point and fundraiser for men’s health. I’ve enjoyed spending each November grooming a moustache and talking to people through my blog about cancer, mental health and my Dad’s legacy.

This time I don’t need to talk at people. I need to talk with them. I’ve challenged myself to have 30 conversations with 30 guys throughout Movember.

It could be a daring dating strategy, but the focus will be health and wellbeing. Influenced by Britain’s most quotable author, Matt Haig, I’ve learnt that ‘talk breeds talk’. The power of normal stories from everyone will break the secrecy and silence that still defines men’s health. Thankfully, through the work of Movember, CALM and Professor Green amongst others, it’s a shrinking silence.



Will you join me for a chat? I’d love to talk to any guys to hear their story and views. It won’t be a formal interview that I publish to the world. Instead, I’ll share what I’m learning each week on this blog. It’s my biggest Movember challenge yet; too big for me to worry about growing a moustache at the same time. That’s disappointing news for my Mother, who hoped the bushy beard would go.

Some things are more important than my facial hair. Chatting about men’s health is one of them.

If you’re interested and can join me for a face-to-face chat this month around London or Essex, please contact me. I’d also love to speak to people through Skype and other online platforms.

You can donate to Movember through my Mo Space and tweet me @JoeyKnock.

No comments:

Post a Comment