Tuesday 24 December 2013

Christmas Traditions

On Saturday evening I had the absolute joy of watching Southend Choirs and Southend Vox perform in the beautiful surroundings of St James Piccadilly. An alumni of both choirs, I was smiling throughout: because they sounded great, because I wasn't the one upfront trying to sing and dance, because I knew the carols back to front as they created such a triumphant sound around the church.

Carols are such a favourite Christmas tradition of mine, yet singing them on Saturday, I realised I'd made it a devoid motion. It's Christmas, therefore I sing carols. I don't think about the words. They just tumble straight down from the memory to the mouth, without my brain actually processing the lyrics and my heart opening up to worship God through them.

I was lucky enough to receive some early Christmas presents from Mum: cupcake cases, cookies cutters and 'The Muppet Christmas Carol'
Songbook. And as I sat at my piano for a sing-song, I realised like I too knew these songs but not the lyrics. They are beautiful lyrics, especially in 'Thankful Heart', following Scrooge's epiphany:

With a thankful heart that is wide awake
I do make this promise with every breath I take
Will be used now to sing your praise
And beg you to share my days
With a loving guarantee
That even if we part
I will hold you close in a thankful heart

I pray that this Christmas, your heart is wide awake too. That joy, peace, hope and love, the words we so often hear, shine throughout your life. And that the next time you watch your traditional Christmas film or sing a song, you too realise something new from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment